- Guidelines for Pesticide Use in Plant Growth Facilities (PDF)
- Worker Protection Standard - CALS Farm & Nursery Policy (PDF)
- CALS Greenhouse Use Policy (PDF)
- Cornell Indemnification Policy 4.9
- Cornell Health and Safety Policy 8.6 (includes Cornell Pesticide Use Policy)
Worker Protection Standard (WPS) Training
Agricultural Employees (Field and Greenhouse) and the Worker Protection Standard
Worker Protection Standard (WPS) training is required by EPA regulation. The training is designed to protect agricultural workers and pesticide handlers from the risks of exposure to pesticide residues.
Certification and Regulations
Cornell requires that all individuals handling pesticides as a part of university programs must be certified pesticide applicators. [see policy.]
Exemptions from Pesticide Certification
- Licensed veterinarians, as well as licensed veterinary technicians, interns, residents, and veterinary students working under the direct supervision of a veterinarian in a veterinary facility (any building operated by the College of Veterinary Medicine) are exempt from the certified applicator/technician/apprentice requirement when engaged in the use of general-use pesticides.
- Small laboratory quantities of pesticides used for analysis and treatment of samples in a laboratory and in an environmentally non-dispersive manner (defined as minute quantity used inside a hood, etc.) could be exempt from this policy. Like all other chemical use in the laboratory, use of laboratory quantity pesticides is regulated by OSHA's "Laboratory Standard" and other appropriate rules and regulations (for clarification, contact the Occupational and Environmental Health Program, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences).
- Testing of materials for pesticide efficacy, toxicity, or other properties could be exempted (for clarification, contact the Occupational and Environmental Health Program, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, or refer to Title 40 CFR, part 172.3).
- Teaching/demonstration of pesticide application(s), as well as recommendation of pesticide application or use are exempted from the certified applicator/technician/apprentice requirement. However, the individual engaged in such activities is responsible for ensuring that these activities are compliant with federal, state, and local pesticide laws and regulations.
For more information regarding pesticide use requirements and exemptions, please refer to the Cornell Health & Safety Policy 2.4
- Pesticide Certification at Cornell - Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Address Change Form (PDF)
- Application Form for Photo ID Card (PDF)
- Certification - Core & Category Manual Order Form (external link)
- Voluntary Surrender of Applicator Form (PDF)
- Pesticide Applicator Handbook Order Form (PDF)
- Documentation of Apprentice Training (PDF)
- Guidelines for Supervisors of Pesticide Applicator Apprentices and WPS Handlers (PDF)
- Pesticide Applicator Exam Procedures (PDF)
- Pesticide Regulations (external link to NYS DEC)
- Recertification Training Course Database (external link to PMEP/DEC)